Project Prophet: The Wilderness Chronicles


It’s like I’m walking in the desert, no one is listening. My audience is non-existent or they are simply dead, dry bones that disintegrated and turned into dust and sand; hot scorching endless stretches of brown, black and clear crystals of sand.

I’m surrounded by dunes and mountains of it, not able to tell where north, south, east or west is. I’m lost on top of this moisture draining, life taking material, thirsting for something cool, quenching, life giving and life sustaining.

My mouth is coarse, my throat dry and wanting, my steps are labored and I stumble back down to this hot strength sapping abomination before me. The same abomination that helps to strengthen homes, that beautifies walls and preserved the pyramids.

Meroe Dunes
Why can’t I be free of you? Why do I need you yet now with my wanting for something nourishing you offer me no solace or comfort to be around? I despise you, yet I want you as I struggle back up and walk over your hot surface as you burn and cinder the soles of my feet.

I dash to what used to be a tree and examine the dried out remains of a hollow tree trunk looking at it wondering for how long it had lived, hoping to trace the source of its life, and I laugh hysterically as if drawn by a mirage with my withering thoughts. They say my gospel should be jovial, but as I look around I see no signs of life and thus I fill my words with lamentations flooded within wails of despair and revelations:

Every time she shivers the earth quakes, for we have covered up, stripped bare and chopped down her lungs. Her skin lays bare in the morning’s heat, dry as cracks appear across her surface. The animals cry out in thirst for her essence as one by one they die in turns while the upright man prevails, taking more and more from her each year…

I toss the hollow trunk to the side and pick myself up again and continue my endless stride to nowhere replaying the same words in my head to maintain my sanity “I am but a voice in the wilderness shaking the sand violently so it may bring forth life, with each piercing blow and the last drops of life I leave behind my blood sweat and tears!”


Comments